AREA ARCHEOLOGICA ROCCA AMORELLA

 
Rocca Amorella

The scholar Arturo Petix (1919-1987) locates on the slopes of Colle Amorella, the medieval Casale di Milocca (first inhabited nucleus of the modern town), already mentioned in the second half of the 13th century in the registers of the Angevin Chancellery and in the acts of the Agrigento Chapter Archive.

 

New data and information of considerable interest, especially on the late medieval phase of the settlement, emerged in 2001 from the resumption of the archaeological investigation. Among other things, a quadrilateral room was identified, originally with a roof and tiles, and probably dating from the late Islamic period (10th century). In the Norman period (11th-12th centuries), this structure was reused during the construction of a new complex, to which a paved floor in limestone, which can be found in various parts of the investigated area, can be referred, together with some surviving wall sections.

 

The long struggles between barons on the island led, during the 14th century, to the alternation of power in this area of various families close to the House of Aragon, such as the Chiaromonte, Capizzi and Polizzi families, whose noble coats of arms recur frequently on the enamel pottery produced in Amorella, with monochrome manganese brown decoration. Similar evidence of intense occupation of the site throughout the 14th century is provided by the numerous coin finds from the Aragonese period, including a silver piereal of Pietro and Costanza of Aragon, denarii of Frederick III of Aragon and Martin the Younger.

 

It was not until 1363, when Giacomo Capizzi, the last baron of Milocca, donated it to the Monastery of San Martino delle Scale in Palermo, that the feud and the hamlet probably entered a phase of decline and abandonment.

Back to top
en_GB