AREA ARCHEOLOGICA CONTRADA DIANA

 
Contrada Diana

The most important monument are the remains of the city walls, the construction of which dates back to the first half of the 4th century B.C. when the Greek city expanded on the slopes of the Acropolis. The walls barred the plain of the Diana district with a mighty rectilinear curtain wall and continued to incorporate several square towers to protect the gates. The wall construction technique consisted of two parallel curtain walls of squared blocks of Monte Rosa stone (purplish-red latitandesite, also used for the sarcophagi of tombs) filled inside with small, compact stones (émplekton). Many of the stone blocks of the high walls were removed in Roman and Norman times for the construction of the monastery on Lipari Castle.

 

Outside the walls was the vast necropolis used for at least 1000 years. Among the buildings from the Roman period, as well as two city blocks, are the baths from the Imperial period, with frigidarium (cold baths) tepidarium and caldarium (hot baths), decorated with beautiful black and white floor mosaics with geometric motifs, fish and fantastic creatures from the marine world. The deepest layers of the Diana district preserve evidence from prehistoric times: Neolithic settlement; Early Bronze Age village and the necropolis belonging to the Capo Graziano culture.

 

Some monuments are visible from the outside in an urban route: Greek tower; funerary hypogea.

Back to top
en_GB