AREE ARCHEOLOGICHE DEL DEMANIO COMUNALE

 
Villaggio preistorico di Punta Milazzese

TERME SAN CALOGERO - LIPARI
In the district of Pianoconte on the western side of the island, the thermal complex still has the tholos stove dating back to the ancient Bronze Age and the gutters, basins, pools of the Greek and Roman age, built to convey hot sulphurous water, gushing from the rocky wall. Adjacent to the archaeological structures was built in 1865-1870 a building with the function of a sanatorium which remained in use until 1975.

 

 

PREHISTORIC VILLAGE OF FILO ARACCIO - FILICUDI
The site extends over the plain of Filo Braccio near the coast. It is the oldest settlement related to the Capo Graziano facies (2300-1700 BC) which was identified by Luigi Bernabò Brea in the legendary people of the Aeolians, of which the islands still bear the name. The village consists of farms made up of various environments, built with large pebbles taken on the spot from the layer of the Tyrrhenian beach (Pleistocene). The oldest traces of wine consumption come from these houses.

 

 

PREHISTORIC VILLAGE OF PUNTA MILAZZESE - PANAREA
In the southern part of the island where the rock forms a sickle-shaped promontory that creates a deep inlet, a village was built in the Middle Bronze Age (1500-1300 BC) inhabited during the period of the Thapsos-Milazzese facies. The promontory of Panarea gives its name to the Aeolian aspect of this Sicilian culture. The site is a true natural fortress, as difficult to access as it is easily defended. It was part of that group of settlements located in the Aeolian Islands, with a territorial organization aimed at controlling maritime trade routes and researching new tin and copper mines. In addition to the furnishings of their handicrafts, archaeological excavations have also returned numerous fragments of Mycenaean pottery, the product of contacts with mainland Greece.

 

 

CONTRADA BARONE - SALINA
At the extreme north of the seafront of Santa Marina, part of a Roman bath complex in use during the first centuries of the imperial age, and reused in the late Roman age, at least until the beginning of the sixth century, can be used. A.D., as an establishment for the processing and salting of fish.

 

 

PREHISTORIC VILLAGE PORTELLA - SALINA
On the coast between Santa Marina and Malfa. The village dates back to the Middle Bronze Age (1500-1300 BC) when the Milazzese culture was widespread in the Aeolian Islands. The exceptionality of this site is in the state of conservation of the prehistoric structures that have not undergone any subsequent intervention since they were abandoned. 25 huts were unearthed, i.e. rooms with an oval or circular plan of about 3-4 meters in diameter, dug entirely in the volcanic rock (lapilli) and lined on the perimeter of the cut by a dry wall built with large sea stones and volcanic stones, or in some cases only partially or in others without a wall. This settlement had a specialized task: the collection and conservation of rainwater, as evidenced by the water drainage channels and large vessels (pithoi) for its conservation.

 

 

NEOLITHIC SITE OF RINICEDDA - SALINA
The Neolithic site in Rinella (Leni) is the oldest human settlement, together with that of Castellaro in Lipari, found in the Aeolian Islands. It dates back to the mid-sixth millennium BC.

 

 

MUSEO CIVICO – LINGUA
The Ethno-anthropological and Archaeological sections are located in two houses facing the Lingua lake. Materials from two important archaeological sites are exhibited, the Bronze Age village of Portella and the Roman baths, later a fish salting plant in the Barone district. In a house from the first half of the nineteenth century, in which the oil mill is perfectly preserved, the daily life environments of the Aeolian population of the late 1800s - early 1900s are reconstructed together with a collection of numerous objects and work tools pertaining to fishing, agriculture, and photographic documents on the protagonists of the "sea merchants", the Aeolian trade of passolina and malvasia, up to the crisis at the end of the century due to the phylloxera which destroyed all the vineyards. For information Municipality of Santa Marina Salina ( http://www.comune.santa-marina-salina.me.it )

Back to top
en_GB