The Regional Archaeological Museum of Agrigento is named in memory of Pietro Griffo, archaeologist and Superintendent of Agrigento from 1941 to 1968. The location chosen for the Museum, the hill San Nicola, has a high symbolic value, as it is at the center of the public area of the classical city. The building, designed by architect Franco Minissi and inaugurated in 1967, partly incorporates the remains of a Cistercian monastery, attached to the church of San Nicola and dating back to the 14th century. The collections on display consist of as many as 5688 artifacts that come in part from the funds of the Civic Museum, from acquisitions of private collections, from the archaeological museums of Palermo and Syracuse and for the most consistent part from the archaeological investigations conducted up to the end of the eighties of the century last by the Superintendency of Agrigento, whose territorial competences extended also to the provinces of Caltanissetta and Enna.
As well as being one of the most important museums in the world, an essential stop for visitors who want to fully understand the history of the Valley of the Temples, today the Regional Archaeological Museum "Pietro Griffo" is also a lively place of culture, animated by frequent temporary exhibitions, concerts and educational activities.